Pala Today News – 10/6/21
Written by John Fox on October 6, 2021
The following items are part of the award-winning “Pala Today” newscast heard this day at noon on PALA REZ RADIO™ 91.3 FM in Pala.
In any emergency, knowledge is power. Use our resources to leverage your family’s safety. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to subscribe to our daily M-F e-newsletter. Follow us at www.facebook.com/rezradio and www.twitter.com/rezradioFM . Additional resources at Palatribe.com
LOCAL AND REGIONAL HEADLINES
Oakland-based Kaiser Permanente health care has suspended more than 2k workers who have chosen not be vaccinated against coronavirus, in conflict with state orders. About 92% of health care workers statewide have complied with that order. Other companies throughout the state are putting workers on leave without pay. Suspended workers can’t return to work without getting their shots. Kaiser workers who do not do so by December 1 will be fired. https://www.pe.com/2021/10/05/covid-kaiser-suspends-thousands-of-employees-who-shunned-vaccine-without-pay/
The Escondido City Council awarded a contract in September to 3Sixty Innovation, Inc., for construction of the first phase of $15m total in planned improvements to beautify downtown. Work was originally slated to begin this fall. But a survey of local businesses showed a preference for waiting until after the holiday season. Construction is now expected to start in January and take about three months. The project had initially been met with total opposition by downtown business when first proposed seven years ago. A lot has changed since then including the need for outdoor sidewalk space to do business. The work in the current phase will include narrowing Grand Avenue to one lane in each direction from Escondido Boulevard to Juniper Street, widening the sidewalk on the north side of Grand from Broadway to Maple, adding diagonal parking to create a net total of 45 more parking spaces, installing new light fixtures and overhead string lighting, and new fencing around outdoor dining spaces currently behind temporary barriers that were installed during the pandemic. The new configuration will make that expanded dining space permanent. Future phases of the project, once funding is secured, will include further sidewalk widening, three traffic roundabouts to calm traffic and improve pedestrian safety, gateways, kiosks and public art. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/escondido/story/2021-10-04/escondidos-grand-avenue
San Diego County’s annual report has been published. Full details are available at this link. https://www.countynewscenter.com/countys-annual-report-new-challenges-essential-services/
The Office of Local Defense Community Cooperation’s Defense Community Infrastructure Program (DCIP) has awarded a $3.5 million grant to the City of Oceanside to support the construction of a new fire station in the city. The new station will be a little over a mile from the Del Mar and Main Gates of Camp Pendleton. https://patch.com/california/oceanside-camppendleton/city-oceanside-awarded-grant-new-fire-station
Today is National Walk to School Day, celebrated annually to highlight the benefits of exercise and to practice pedestrian safety. A list of things to watch for when walking is included in the Patch article link. Drivers need to be extra cautious today, especially in school zones this afternoon with far more kids walking to and from school than usual today. https://patch.com/california/temecula/expect-see-more-kids-walking-school-wednesday-temecula
In Major League Baseball – Last night, the Boston Red Sox beat the Yankees 6-2 to advance to the AL divisional series against Tampa Bay beginning tomorrow. The National League Wild Card Game is tonight at 5p on TBS. It’s the Cardinals at the Dodgers. The winner tonight will face the Giants in the first game of the NLDS on Friday.
In the NFL – Week 5 begins tomorrow night at 5p in Seattle with the Seahawks hosting the Rams.
In college football – University of Northern Colorado offensive coordinator Max McCaffrey was reprimanded for inadvertently hitting an opposing fan with a broken clipboard during a 40-7 loss to Montana State on Saturday. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32348191/northern-colorado-assistant-football-coach-max-mccaffrey-reprimanded-errant-clipboard-toss-hit-fan
In local high school sports –
- Bonsall HS – no schedule published
- Great Oak HS – no schedule published
- Fallbrook HS – boys water polo hosting Ramona beginning at 3:15p
- Valley Center HS – field hockey hosting Rancho Bernardo at 4p; boys’ water polo hosting Escondido at 4:15p
As of midday trading on Wall Street, stocks were up a little. The Dow was up less than a tenth of a percent. The S&P was up almost 2 tenths. The NASDAQ was up a third of a percent. Gold gained $2.50 an ounce to $1,763.40. Oil fell $1.20 a barrel to $77.73.
Satellite TV service, Dish is warning customers that they may stop carrying local broadcast stations owned by media conglomerate Tegna later today due to a dispute over fees. The broadcaster is seeking $1b in new fees from Dish. Tegna owns Channel 8 in San Diego. The proposed blackout would begin this evening at 6p. https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/tegna-warns-of-possible-dish-blackout
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg posted a lengthy statement yesterday saying many of whistleblower Frances Haugen’s claims about company goals and practices “don’t make sense”. He said it’s “just not true” that his company, which also includes Instagram and WhatsApp “prioritize profit over safety and well-being”. The statement also addressed Monday’s day-long service outage. https://www.mediaite.com/tech/mark-zuckerberg-responds-to-facebook-whistleblower-its-deeply-illogical-to-say-we-deliberately-push-content-that-makes-people-angry/
Amionx, a Carlsbad startup that’s developed technology to lower the risk of battery fires in consumer electronics and electric vehicles, has raised $6 million in a second round of venture capital funding. Backers include existing investor, Qualcomm Ventures, as well as new investors Hongkou Management and Inherent Group. Amionx will use the money to accelerate the deployment of its patented SafeCore technology into lithium-ion battery manufacturers. The company’s efforts had been hampered by travel restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/story/2021-10-05/sd-fi-axionx-funding article by Mike Freeman
Attendance at Disneyland in Anaheim is back to about 85% of where it was in 2019. https://www.pe.com/2021/10/06/disneyland-attendance-bounces-back-to-nearly-85-of-2019-levels-report-says/
Stock up on your Frosted Flakes. Work at all U.S. plants belonging to the Kellogg Company came to a halt yesterday as 1,400 workers went on strike against the cereal maker. The Battle Creek, Michigan-based company has been at an impasse with the union at the bargaining table for more than a year. The main issue is pay and loss of benefits including premium health care, holiday and vacation pay, and reduced retirement benefits. The company has threatened to send more jobs to Mexico if the union membership doesn’t accept its terms. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/workers-at-all-of-kelloggs-u-s-cereal-plants-go-on-strike
LIFESTYLE / GREEN LIVING
89 California billionaires made the Forbes 400 list this year. They include Mark Zuckerberg, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Google co-founder Larry Page. Zuckerberg landed at #3 and Page at #5 with $125b net worth. https://patch.com/california/temecula/s/huba3/forbes-400-89-ca-billionaires-made-cut
On this day in music history – October 6,
- 1964, The Beatles spent the afternoon recording “Eight Days a Week” at Abbey Road studios in London and the evening at London’s Ad Lib Club partying with The Ronettes and Mick Jagger.
- In 1967, The Doors did a concert at Cal State LA along with The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and The Sunshine Company
- On the same day, Pink Floyd appeared at the Miss Teenage Brighton Contest to play during pageant interludes.
- And still that day, The Jimi Hendrix Experience recorded a segment for the BBC radio show, “Top Gear” in which Jimi jammed with Stevie Wonder.
- In 1969, George Harrison got his first A-side single with The Beatles. The flip side of “Something” featured the Lennon-McCartney song, “Come Together”. Both tracks became hits and were included on the Abbey Road album.
- In 1972, David Bowie recorded “The Jean Genie” at RCA studios in New York. It became the lead single from his “Aladdin Sane” album and his biggest hit to date. The line from the song, “He’s so simple minded, he can’t drive his module” later inspired the name for the Scottish band, Simple Minds whose 1985 hit, “Don’t You Forget About Me” was featured in the movie, “The Breakfast Club”.
- In 1973, Cher began the first of two weeks at #1 with the single, “Half Breed”. Though Cher is not half-Cherokee as the song’s lyrics say, according to People magazine, she is a fraction Cherokee on her mother’s side.
- In 1976, Memphis DJ Rick Dees and His Cast of Idiots scored a gold record for the novelty hit, “Disco Duck”.
- In 1979, Led Zeppelin’s final studio album, “In Through the Out Door” was at #1 on the album chart. The album cover was released in six different versions, each depicting the same bar scene photographed from a different angle.
- On the same day, “Gotta Serve Somebody” became Bob Dylan’s 12th Top 40 hit. The song won Best Male Rock Vocal Performance at the Grammys the following spring.
- In 1982, Madonna released her first single, “Everybody”. It failed to make the Hot 100, but did get played in dance clubs, helping her get publicity in a dance magazine and eventually another shot at the Top 40
- In 1991, Michael Jackson gave away the bride at Elizabeth Taylor’s 7th wedding, held at his Neverland Ranch in Santa Ynez. The groom was construction worker Larry Fortensky, whom Taylor divorced six years later.
- In 2005, a Rolling Stones concert at the University of Virginia was halted after eight songs when police received a bomb threat targeting the stage area. A 45-minute sweep found nothing and the show resumed. The Stones concert tour was promoting their latest album, “A Bigger Bang”.
- In 2007, Queen’s promo video for “Bohemian Rhapsody” was voted the all-time best British music video by O2.
- In 2011, Starship’s “We Built This City” was named the worst song of the 80’s in a Rolling Stone magazine poll. “The Final Countdown” by Swedish group, Europe came in second. “The Lady in Red” by Chris DeBurgh was third. Wham’s “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” and “The Safety Dance” by Men Without Hats came in 4th and 5th.
- In 2019, drummer for Cream, Ginger Baker died at the age of 80.
Born on this day …
- In 1948, Millie Small who had the 1964 hit, “My Boy Lollipop”
- In 1949, Bobby Farrell from German group, Boney M, Thomas McClary, guitarist for The Commodores, and Sid McGinnis, guitarist with Paul Schafer’s World’s Most Dangerous Band
- In 1951, lead singer from REO Speedwagon, Kevin Cronin
- In 1954, Los Lobos singer-songwriter David Hidalgo
- In 1961, Tim Burgess, drummer with T’Pau who took their name from that of a Vulcan elder in Star Trek.
Other celebrity anniversaries today …
- Ellen Travolta, actress and sister of John Travolta is 81
- Actress Carole Lombard was born this day in 1908.
Programming on Rez Radio 91.3 is made possible in part by the Pala Band of Mission Indians and donations from listeners like you. Call (760) 742-4200 or email email@example.com for details on contributing to community radio in Pala.
Call the Pala Fire Department at (760) 742-1632 before starting any open fires to get the day’s Cal Fire and APCD recommendations. Fire Department permits are required for any burning on Pala tribal land.
The Pala Band of Mission Indians has a number of part-time and full-time employment opportunities.
Friend/like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/RezRadio
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/rezradiofm
Pala Weather – partly sunny with a high of 74 this afternoon … cloudy and 70 tomorrow … 65 Friday with rain up to 70% likely tomorrow night through Friday morning with accumulation up to a quarter of an inch and possible wind gusts up to 20 miles an hour … partly sunny and 73 Saturday … 84 Sunday … back to 75 Monday … another slight chance of showers Monday night … mostly sunny and 66 Tuesday … overnight lows in the upper 50s tonight and tomorrow night … 50 Friday night … low 50s beginning Saturday night
(click HERE for current conditions in Pala)
LISTEN TO REZ RADIO
Rez Radio Website – Listen to Rez Radio 91.3 through your browser at RezRadio.fm.
iHeartRadio Website – Listen to Rez Radio 91.3 through your browser at iHeart.com.
iHeartRadio Apps – Download the free iHeartRadio music app for iOS, Android, Windows, and participating car, home, and portable devices. Once the app has been downloaded, search for “Rez Radio” and save us as your favorite.
TuneIn Website – Listen to Rez Radio 91.3 through your browser at Tunein.com.
TuneIn Apps – Download the free TuneIn music app for iOS, Android, Windows, and participating car, home, and portable devices. Once the app has been downloaded, search for “Rez Radio” and save us as your favorite.
AudioNow – Provided by AudioNow, listen to Rez Radio 91.3 anywhere there is phone service by dialing (712) 775-5748. There is no cost for the service, but calls will use mobile plan minutes. If you’re calling from a landline, normal long distance charges will apply.
The Community Events and Casino Corner portions of this newsletter can be heard three times daily Mon-Sun on Rez Radio, at 7:25a, 12:25p (in Pala Today M-F), and at 5:25p as the “Pala Community Calendar”. Submit items for the calendar to firstname.lastname@example.org at least a week before the event.
You can view the events on the Calendar page.
You can find a wide-range of Pala Rez Radio programming on our Shows page.
The Pala Band of Mission Indians and Rez Radio gathered this list of resources as a courtesy and offers no guarantee of accuracy. Please contact us if you find an error or if any link needs to be updated.
Check out the list of information on our Resources page.