Pala Today News – 11/25/20
Written by John Fox on November 25, 2020
The following items are part of the award-winning “Pala Today” newscast heard this day at noon on PALA REZ RADIO™ 91.3 FM in Pala.
LOCAL AND REGIONAL HEADLINES
Expect winds gusting up to 35 miles an hour in Pala beginning tomorrow night as we enter a Fire Weather Watch for Friday and Saturday. It’ll only warmup by about ten degrees. But it will be windy with very low humidity. Peak gusts could hit 50 miles an hour in the mountains. The full forecast is coming up. (below)
San Diego County reported another one-day record-high 1,546 new cases of Covid-19 yesterday with 16 additional deaths. Out of more than 17k test results, 9% came back positive. Fifteen new community outbreaks were reported – three in retail stores, three at businesses, three at restaurant bars, two at restaurants, one in a government setting, one in a grocery store, one at a faith-based agency, and one at a school. There have been 73 reported community outbreaks over the past seven days. (SD County media release)
No additional cases reported in the Pala zip code. The current total is 95.
In Riverside County, 1,569 new Covid-19 cases were reported yesterday along with 13 additional deaths. https://www.rivcoph.org/coronavirus
Oceanside police are searching for a man who repeatedly stabbed another man in the back outside of El Torito Market at Bush and San Diego Streets last evening around 6p. The victim was accompanied by two other people. His injuries were believed not to be life-threatening. Police have not released any other details. https://patch.com/california/oceanside-camppendleton/knife-wielding-man-wanted-oceanside-attack
A woman suspected of driving under the influence the wrong way on I-15 crashed into a freeway HOV lane machine early this morning. The 2018 Honda Civic was traveling south in the northbound lanes of I-15 near Via Rancho Parkway at 1a this morning when it struck the parked zipper machine, ejected the car’s driver. The unidentified driver was transported to Palomar Medical center with major injuries. https://patch.com/california/oceanside-camppendleton/s/hbs6l/dui-suspected-wrong-way-crash-1-15-escondido-chp
All 14 of the required members for San Diego County’s Independent Redistricting Commission have now been selected. The commission is responsible for redrawing the boundaries for the five county supervisorial districts based on results of the 2020 Census. The goal is for each supervisor to represent a diverse population of about 650k residents. Nearly 300 people applied for the first eight seats on the commission. The county clerk selected the 60 most-qualified. Staff then drew eight names from the pool during two random drawings at the October 13 Board of Supervisors meeting. Those eight appointed the remaining six commissioners. Appointees needed relevant experience, analytical skills and impartiality. The group’s political party registration had to be as proportional as possible to that of the county as a whole. That resulted in 6 Democrats, 4 Republicans and 4 with no party preference. The commission is also split evenly between men and women. The commission will now hold at least seven public hearings with at least one in each of the five districts and review new census data when it’s released. The redrawn district maps must be completed in just over a year – by Dec 15, 2021. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-recall/tesla-issues-two-recalls-covering-9500-u-s-vehicles-nhtsa-idUSKBN2851KD
There was a 3.0 magnitude earthquake just southwest of the Cahuilla Reservation this morning at 11:05a. Hardly anyone has reported feeling it. https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci39476919/executive
Rez Radio provides a daily updated bulletin board of resource links and current status of local businesses during the pandemic. It’s in each day’s e-newsletter and at our website, www.RezRadio.FM .
In the NFL – Only two games tomorrow out the originally scheduled three. Houston at Detroit at 9:30a on CBS. And Washington at Dallas t 1:30p on Fox. The Baltimore at Pittsburgh game has been rescheduled for Sunday with the time yet to be determined. The change is to give Baltimore more time to get through pandemic protocol after several players and staff tested positive for Covid-19. Among the other dozen games Sunday – the Chargers are at Buffalo and the Rams host San Francisco. Monday night’s game will be Seattle at Philadelphia.
Houston wide receiver Randall Cobb will not be in tomorrow’s game against Detroit and will probably miss several games with a toe injury. Neither Cobb nor fellow receiver Kenny Stills will be traveling with the team this week. Stills has a quadriceps injury. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30387349/houston-texans-wr-randall-cobb-miss-multiple-games-source-says
Cincinnati’s Brandon Allen will take over at quarterback for the injured Joe Burrow Sunday against the Giants. He had previous starting experience against New York when he was with the Broncos. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30386506/brandon-allen-start-quarterback-cincinnati-bengals-source-says
After losing a franchise record-tying nine games, Jacksonville will switch to Mike Glennon as its starting quarterback replacing rookie Jake Luton and second-year player Garner Minshew. This will be Glennon’s first start since two years ago when he was with Chicago. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30386126/jacksonville-jaguars-turn-qb-mike-glennon-make-first-start-three-seasons
In college football – Two games tomorrow – Colorado State at Air Force and New Mexico at Utah State. Nine games Friday including #2 Notre Dame at #19 North Carolina. San Diego State’s game at Fresno this week has been cancelled. Saturday’s lineup includes #3 Clemson hosting Pitt on ESPN and #18 USC hosting Colorado on ABC, both at 12:30p. https://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule
Top-ranked Alabama’s coach Nick Saban has tested positive for Covid-19 and will not coach Saturday’s game against #22 Auburn. Saban is reporting mild symptoms. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30386828/alabama-coach-nick-saban-tests-positive-showing-covid-19-symptoms
This week’s game between #7 Cincinnati and Temple has been cancelled and will be declared a no-contest because of positive coronavirus tests and contact tracing at both schools. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30386578/cincinnati-temple-canceled-due-covid-19-issues-teams
Vanderbilt is considering adding a player from the school’s women’s soccer team as their place kicker this week. Many of the team’s kickers are in quarantine because of Covid. Sarah Fuller has been practicing with the team all week. If she plays Saturday against Missouri, she’ll be the first woman ever in a Power 5 football game. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30386218/vanderbilt-soccer-sarah-fuller-option-kick-football-team-coach-says
Texas State defensive back Khambrail Winters was fatally shot last night in what witnesses describe as a drug deal gone wrong. San Marcos, Texas police have arrested two men who are now charged with Winters’ murder. Two others involved in the alleged marijuana deal are being sought. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30387607/police-texas-state-db-khambrail-winters-fatally-shot-drug-deal
In baseball –
In the NBA – The Miami Heat and Bam Adebayo have agreed to a five-year max extension contract that could total $195m with escalator clauses. It’ll be the richest contract in Heat history and is pending a physical by Adebayo, who is making $5m in this, the final year of his rookie contract. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30381011/miami-heat-working-extension-guarantee-bam-adebayo-168m-6-seasons
Atlanta has signed Sacramento restricted free-agent Bogdan Bogdanovic after the Kings declined to match the Hawks’ four-year $72m offer. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30383598/sacramento-kings-not-matching-atlanta-hawks-offer-sheet-bogdan-bogdanovic
In college basketball – The NCAA season is underway with a couple of games today already underway. San Diego State will host #22 UCLA tonight. USD’s game is cancelled along with 19 others.
West Virginia will replace Tennessee in next week’s Jimmy V Classic. The #12 Volunteers had to withdraw yesterday after extending their program shutdown due to pandemic. This way, top-ranked Gonzaga will still face four top-15 teams in the first month of the season – #16 Kansas tomorrow, #15 West Virginia next Wednesday, #2 Baylor December 5, and #5 Iowa on the 19th. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30387501/west-virginia-replace-tennessee-jimmy-v-classic
This Sunday’s game tween Baylor and Seton Hall has been cancelled. It’s the Bears’ third cancelled game since coach Scott Drew tested positive for Covid last Sunday. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30381298/baylor-seton-hall-men-basketball-game-canceled
In golf – Match play tomorrow at Oro Valley, Arizona with the team of Phil Mickelson and basketball’s Charles Barkley against Stephen Curry and football’s Peyton Manning. https://www.espn.com/golf/leaderboard
As of midday trading on Wall Street, after record-high closes yesterday, stocks are mixed today. The Dow was down a half percent. The S&P 500 was down two tenths of a percent. The NASDAQ was up 4 tenths. Gold rose 50 cents to $1,805.10 an ounce but is still down 4% for the week. Oil rose 2 ½% to over $46 a barrel in spite of increases in rig counts, suggesting increasing supply in a relatively stagnant market.
Tesla has issued two recalls of about 9,500 vehicles. The larger recall from the 2016 model year is for roof trim that may have separated. The other recall of about 400 Tesla Model Y’s from the 2020 model year involves bolts in the front suspension that may not be properly tightened. Three vehicles so far have required repairs due to separations of the steering knuckle and upper control arm. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-recall/tesla-issues-two-recalls-covering-9500-u-s-vehicles-nhtsa-idUSKBN2851KD
LIFESTYLE / GREEN LIVING
Scientists at a London University today said that although the novel coronavirus that causes Covid-19 is mutating as it spreads, none of the mutations documented so far appear to be making it spread more quickly. Viruses are known to constantly mutate. Some, including flu viruses change more frequently than others. Most mutations are neutral, but some can make vaccines against them less effective. The London study’s findings show no threat to the efficacy of vaccines currently under development. But researchers caution that the introduction of those vaccines tend to encourage mutations as the virus attempts to evade the human immune system. The study’s findings were published today in “Nature Communications”. https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-mutations/mutations-not-making-coronavirus-able-to-spread-more-rapidly-study-idUSKBN28518O
On this day in music history – November 25,
- 1965, before there was officially such a thing as Black Friday, Harrods department store in London closed to the public so The Beatles, then at the height of their popularity could do their Christmas shopping in private without being mobbed by fans … who probably also would have destroyed the store.
- In 1966, The Jimi Hendrix Experience made their live performance debut at the Bag O’Nails Club in London. The club didn’t have a stage, so they used the DJ booth, playing for an influential music industry crowd. The club was a hangout for Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and all four of The Beatles.
- In 1972, Chuck Berry was at #1 with “My Ding-a-Ling”. Originally by Dave Bartholomew in 1952, Berry’s hit version was recorded live at a concert in England in February of ’72. Boston radio DJ Jim Connors was credited with a recording industry gold record for discovering the song, promoting it to his peers and pushing it to the top of the chart.
- In 1974, singer songwriter Nick Drake died in his sleep at age 26 from an overdose of anti-depressant medication. His 1972 song “Pink Moon” was revived in a Volkswagen TV commercial in 2000. Within a month, Drake posthumously sold more records that he had in the previous 30 years.
- In 1976, The Band gave their final performance on Thanksgiving Day at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco. The show, which also included Joni Mitchell, Dr. John, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Neil Diamond and Eric Clapton was filmed by Martin Scorsese and released as the documentary “The Last Waltz” two years later.
- In 1984, dozens of British music artists gathered at a London studio to record the benefit single, “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” Written by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure, it raised over $13.6m for hunger relief worldwide.
- In 1992, Whitney Houston made her acting debut with Kevin Costner in “The Bodyguard”. It had been written twenty years earlier for Steve McQueen and Diana Ross. The soundtrack album sold over 42m copies.
- Exactly three years later, in 1995Whitney was at #1 with “Exhale” from the film, “Waiting to Exhale”. It was her 11th #1 hit.
- In 2003, Glen Campbell was arrested with a blood alcohol level of .20 after his BMW hit a Toyota Camry. He was charged with “extreme” drunk driving, hit and run, and assaulting a police officer who reported that while in custody, Campbell repeatedly hummed hit hit, “Rhinestone Cowboy”.
- On the same day, Meat Loaf underwent heart surgery to correct a condition that led to his collapse on stage eight days earlier.
- In 2007, Kevin Dubrow, front man for Quiet Riot was found dead at his home in Las Vegas at age 52. The band’s 1983 album “Metal Health” was the first heavy metal album to top the charts.
- In 2010, a restaurant in Massachusetts fell victim to a prankster who order 178 pizzas claiming they were for Bob Dylan and his crew, who were appearing at a concert in Amherst. The imposter wore a fake pass for a Dylan concert. The restaurant worked until 5:30a to make the nearly $4k worth of pizzas which no one claimed.
Born on this day …
- In 1940, soul singer Percy Sledge who had the 1966 #1 hit “When a Man Loves a Woman”, a song that was said to be largely ad-libbed when first recorded.
- In 1944, drummer Bev Bevan from The Move and its later incarnation, The Electric Light Orchestra.
- In 1944, Bob Lind who had the 1966 Top five hit “Elusive Butterfly”
- In 1960, Amy Grant
- In 1966, Stacy Lattishaw
Other celebrity anniversaries today …
- Actor, author, lawyer and political commentator Ben Stein is 73. “Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Bueller?”
- Actor John Larroquette is 73
- Actress Christina Applegate is 49
- The late Ricardo Montalban who played Mr. Roarke on TV’s Fantasy Island and the villainous Khan in Star Trek was born 100 years ago today
Programming on Rez Radio 91.3 is made possible in part by the Pala Band of Mission Indians and donations from listeners like you. Call (760) 742-4200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details on contributing to community radio in Pala.
Call the Pala Fire Department at (760) 742-1632 before starting any open fires to get the day’s Cal Fire and APCD recommendations. Fire Department permits are required for any burning on Pala tribal land.
The Pala Band of Mission Indians has a number of part-time and full-time employment opportunities.
Friend/like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/RezRadio
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/rezradiofm
Pala Weather – sunny with a high of 70 today and tomorrow … Santa Ana winds developing overnight tomorrow into Friday with gusts up to 35 miles an hour … a Fire Weather Watch Friday and Saturday due to high winds and low humidity … sunny and 74 Friday … 77 Saturday … 80 Sunday … 78 Monday … 74 Tuesday … overnight lows about 40 all week
(click HERE for current conditions in Pala)
LISTEN TO REZ RADIO
Rez Radio Website – Listen to Rez Radio 91.3 through your browser at RezRadio.fm.
iHeartRadio Website – Listen to Rez Radio 91.3 through your browser at iHeart.com.
iHeartRadio Apps – Download the free iHeartRadio music app for iOS, Android, Windows, and participating car, home, and portable devices. Once the app has been downloaded, search for “Rez Radio” and save us as your favorite.
TuneIn Website – Listen to Rez Radio 91.3 through your browser at Tunein.com.
TuneIn Apps – Download the free TuneIn music app for iOS, Android, Windows, and participating car, home, and portable devices. Once the app has been downloaded, search for “Rez Radio” and save us as your favorite.
AudioNow – Provided by AudioNow, listen to Rez Radio 91.3 anywhere there is phone service by dialing (712) 775-5748. There is no cost for the service, but calls will use mobile plan minutes. If you’re calling from a landline, normal long distance charges will apply.
The Community Events and Casino Corner portions of this newsletter can be heard three times daily Mon-Sun on Rez Radio, at 7:25a, 12:25p (in Pala Today M-F), and at 5:25p as the “Pala Community Calendar”. Submit items for the calendar to email@example.com at least a week before the event.
You can view the events on the Calendar page.
You can find a wide-range of Pala Rez Radio programming on our Shows page.
The Pala Band of Mission Indians and Rez Radio gathered this list of resources as a courtesy and offers no guarantee of accuracy. Please contact us if you find an error or if any link needs to be updated.
Check out the list of information on our Resources page.