Pala Today News – 10/30/20
Written by John Fox on October 30, 2020
The following items are part of the award-winning “Pala Today” newscast heard this day at noon on PALA REZ RADIO™ 91.3 FM in Pala.
LOCAL AND REGIONAL HEADLINES
Polls open tomorrow for the Presidential Election. Though Election Day isn’t until Tuesday, November 3, for the first time ever, in order to allow everyone to vote in person without being in a crowd, your scheduled polling place will be open tomorrow, Sunday and Monday from 8a to 5p in addition to the usual extended hours on Election Day. All registered voters were assigned a polling location, which was printed on each voter’s sample ballot. A postcard with the location was mailed to all voters last week. You can also look up your polling location at the county Registrar’s website. In San Diego County, that’s www.SDVote.com and in Riverside County, it’s www.VoterInfo.net . There is also still time to mail or drop off your ballot. Information about how and where to submit mail ballots is also on the websites.
The San Diego County Registrar of Voters reports having received 940k ballots already for Tuesday’s election. That’s approaching half of all voters in the county and more than double the number of mail ballots received at this point in the 2016 election. https://patch.com/california/oceanside-camppendleton/s/hanvv/nearly-940k-ballots-received-county-registrar-voters
Riverside County reports 450k, or 30% of its 1,243,000 ballots mailed to voters have been returned as of yesterday – also about twice the rate of return at this time four years ago. https://myvalleynews.com/over-30-of-election-ballots-returned-to-county-registrar-for-processing/
There were 358 new COVID-19 cases reported by San Diego County yesterday with 4 additional deaths. Over 13k tests were reported yesterday with the positivity rate at 3%, raising the 14-day rolling average to 2.8%. Eight new community setting outbreaks were reported – four at businesses, two in grocery stores, one in a pre-school and one in a restaurant. There have been 37 community outbreaks in San Diego County in the past 7 days. (SD County media release)
One additional case was reported in the Pala zip code. The current total is 79. http://www.palatribe.com/covid-19-coronavirus-outbreak/
A group of eight San Diego County gyms have filed suit against state and local leaders challenging public health orders related to the pandemic. The suit filed Tuesday cites stay-at-home orders for causing “widespread and catastrophic damage to the California economy”, and particularly to gymnasiums who’ve been forced to lay off staff and are having trouble paying bills. Among the plaintiffs are Metroflex Gym in Oceanside, owned by mayoral candidate Louis Uridel and Ramona Fitness Center owner Peter San Nicholas, both of whom were charged criminally for violating the state’s shutdown orders by keeping their gyms open against health orders earlier this summer. https://patch.com/california/oceanside-camppendleton/oceanside-gym-owner-sues-officials-over-pandemic-restrictions
In Riverside County, 306 new Covid cases were reported yesterday along with 1 additional death. https://www.rivcoph.org/coronavirus
A fire in a home on Stage Coach Lane across from Fallbrook High School district headquarters Tuesday morning around 8a displaced 7 people and 3 dogs. One person suffered from smoke inhalation in the blaze which firefighters controlled within 15 minutes. The fire apparently began in a bedroom. The cause has yet to be determined. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2020-10-27/fire-at-home-in-fallbrook-displaces-7-residents-3-dogs-one-person-suffers-smoke-inhalation
The city of Oceanside this week banned the use of boogie boards and surf boards in Oceanside Harbor. It’s a modification to an ordinance legalizing the sudden popularity of rented standup paddleboards in the marina. That ordinance however, also opened the door for a number of devices – basically any buoyant object than be used while lying down – all of which had previously been excluded. Kayaks and stand-up paddleboards will be still be allowed. The need to amend the ordinance became clear with an increase in harbor traffic this year, particularly at the entrance where people on boards paddled between beaches north and south of the harbor entrance jetties. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/story/2020-10-27/surfboards-boogie-boards-banned-at-oceanside-harbor
A reminder that we go back to standard time this weekend. Remember to set your clocks back one hour tomorrow night/Sunday morning. (Officially, at 2a Sunday morning clocks get set back to 1a.)
Rez Radio provides a daily updated bulletin board of resource links and current status of local businesses during the pandemic. It’s in each day’s e-newsletter and at our website, www.RezRadio.FM .
In the NFL – Last night in Charlotte, the Falcons beat the Panthers 25-17, avoiding blowing yet another fourth quarter lead as they had twice before this season. Younghoe Koo kicked four field goals for Atlanta. Matt Ryan threw for 281 yards and ran for a touchdown. Sunday’s schedule has New England at Buffalo, Las Vegas at Cleveland, and the Rams at Miami at 10a. The Chargers at Denver at 1p. And Dallas at Philadelphia at 5p, among other games.
Baltimore left tackle Ronnie Stanley was late for today’s morning team meeting. He was too busy signing a five-year $99m contract extension. He’s now the second highest-paid left tackle in the NFL. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30222387/baltimore-ravens-sign-lt-ronnie-stanley-five-year-9875m-extension-source-says
In college football – Tomorrow’s early games include #1 Clemson hosting Boston College on ABC, #7 Cincinnati hosting Memphis, and #13 Michigan hosting Michigan State, all at 9a. #4 Notre Dame is at Georgia Tech at 12:30 on ABC. #2 Alabama hosts Mississippi State at 4p on ESPN. San Diego State is at Utah State at 6:30p on CBS Sports Network. #9 Wisconsin at Nebraska is cancelled due to Covid. North Texas at UTEP is postponed. https://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule
In baseball – The Angels have been interviewing for a new general manager to fill the currently vacant position with the team. So far they’ve spoken with Padres special assistant Logan White, Oakland A’s assistant GM Billly Owens, and assistant general managers for the Diamondbacks, Jared Porter and Ariel Sawdaye. No word on how many more are on the list of possible candidates. https://www.pe.com/2020/10/29/angels-gm-search-includes-at-least-four-interviews-so-far/
In golf – At the Bermuda Championship, Wyndham Clark had the lead by 2 strokes through 13 holes of today’s second round. https://www.espn.com/golf/leaderboard
In racing – Brad Keselowski will start in the pole position of the NASCAR Cup race at Martinsville Sunday. http://www.espn.com/racing/grid/_/raceId/202011010020/series/sprint
As of midday trading on Wall Street, stocks headed back downward today. The Dow was off by 1 1/3%. The S&P was down 1.8%. The NASDAQ took the biggest hit, down almost 3%. Gold rose for the first time in several sessions but will finish down for the third straight week. So far it’s up $11.40 an ounce today to $1,879.20. Oil was down 80 cents to $35.37 a barrel.
Citing political unrest in Philadelphia, Walmart has removed guns and ammunition from all of its stores that sell them as a “precaution for the safety of our associates and customers.” Walmart sells firearms and ammo in about half of its 4k U.S. stores. The retailer did the same thing earlier this year during the George Floyd killing protests. https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/29/business/us-economy-coronavirus#walmart-guns-unrest
Big corporate food companies are benefitting from the pandemic. Kraft Heinz reported real sales rose 6.3% to $6.4b in the third quarter compared with one year ago with demand accelerating notably in the second half of September. The company had been struggling with its product mix before the pandemic but is doing well with the trend towards consumers eating more meals at home. Kellogg reported continued gains in the 3rd quarter, but not at the rate experienced in Q2. Kellogg brands Pringles, Eggo, and Morningstar Farms meat-alternative foods did especially well. Yum Brands, reported revenues up 8% in Q3 with net income up 11% compared to one year ago. Yum’s Taco Bell restaurants took a hit on breakfast and late night business, but more than made up for it with dinner sales of family meal boxes. Taco Bell’s gains offset lower returns from Yum’s other major brands, KFC and Pizza Hut.
The Padres and the city of San Diego are beginning negotiations for the redevelopment of the five-acre parking lot adjacent to Petco Park known as Tailgate Park. The Padres beat out Brookfield Properties in purchasing the lot for $1.4b. The Padres’ development partners plan an office-based commercial area to be known as East Village Quarter with 1.35m square feet of biotech campus, 612 apartments, 50k square feet of retail, 1,600 parking spaces and 236k square feet of public open space. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2020-10-28/city-ready-to-formalize-talks-with-padres-for-sale-of-tailgate-park
On this day in music history – October 30,
- 1961, two days after a fan asked Brian Epstein at his NEMS music store for The Beatles’ German single, “My Bonnie”, Epstein solved the mystery and first began to learn about the local Liverpool group. He couldn’t find the record because it was released under the name Tony Sheridan and The Beat Brothers, because Beatles resembles a vulgar German slang word and the group had only played backup for Sheridan.
- In 1967, Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones admitted to possession of cannabis and allowing his apartment to be used for its smoking, but pleaded not guilty to charges of methamphetamine and cocaine possession. The plea was accepted and Jones was sentenced to nine months in prison. He was released on bail the following day.
- On the same day Tyrannosaurus Rex recorded an episode of “Top Gear” for Radio 1 in England – the first group without a recording contract to ever do that.
- In 1970, Elton John released his third album, “Tumbleweed Connection”.
- On the same day Hotlegs made their live debut opening for The Moody Blues at the Festival Hall in London. Members of the group went on to become 10cc.
- Meanwhile on this side of the pond, Jim Morrison of The Doors was fined and sentenced to six months in jail after being found guilty of exposing himself onstage at a concert in Miami.
- In 1971, John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band were at #1 with the album “Imagine” which contained two songs attacking Paul McCartney for whom Lennon blamed for the breakup of The Beatles – “How Do You Sleep” and “Crippled Inside”.
- On the same day, Pink Floyd released their 6th studio album, “Meddle” which contained the tracks “One of These Days” and the 23-minute “Echoes” which took up all of side 2.
- In 1978, Blondie released their second single, “Hanging on the Telephone”
- In 1982, Men At Work wer at #1 on the singles chart with “Who Can It Be Now” – the video for which was in high rotation on MTV.
- In 1998, all four original members of Black Sabbath reunited for one night to play “Paranoid” on The David Letterman Show.
- In 2000, a web site was launched to get children interested in basic physics, BritneySpears.ac featuring photos of the then-popular singer illustrating mathematical equations and physics theories … obviously.
- In 2002 Jam Master Jay from Run-DMC was killed by an assassin’s bullet at his recording studio in Queens.
- In 2015, Adele was at #1 with “Hello” the first track on her third album “25”. The track was streamed 7.3m times in its first week of release, breaking a record previously held by Justin Bieber.
Born on this day …
- In 1939, Eddie Holland from the writing and producing team of Holland/Dozier/Holland who worked with Motown greats, The Supremes, Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, and others
- Also in 1939, Grace Slick from Jefferson Airplane and Starship
- And Otis Williams from The Temptations
- In 1947, Timothy B. Schmit, bass player with The Eagles
- In 1949, David Green, bass player for Air Supply
- In 1960, Joey Belladonna from Anthrax
Other celebrity anniversaries today …
- Actor/producer/director Henry Winkler, best known as The Fonz from Happy Days is 75
- Actor and comedian Kevin Pollak is 63
- Actress Ruth Gordon was born on this day in 1896
- Actor Herschel Bernardi was born in 1923
- Actor Dick Gautier who played Hymie the robot on Get Smart was born in 1931
- The late comedian and actor Richard Jeni was born in 1957
Programming on Rez Radio 91.3 is made possible in part by the Pala Band of Mission Indians and donations from listeners like you. Call 760 742 4200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details on contributing to community radio in Pala.
Call the Pala Fire Department at 760 742 1632 before starting any open fires to get the day’s Cal Fire and APCD recommendations. Fire Department permits are required for any burning on Pala tribal land.
The Pala seniors’ lunch menu for tomorrow (10/3) – chicken Alfredo, egg noodles, mixed vegetables, salad, and garlic bread
The Pala Band of Mission Indians has employment opportunities including full time and part time. For a list, go to http://www.palatribe.com/community/jobs/
A transcript of this newscast will be available at our website, www.RezRadio.FM an hour or two after broadcast.
Pala Weather – sunny with a high of 86 this afternoon … about 90 tomorrow through Monday … 86 on Tuesday … back to 90 Wednesday … 92 next Thursday … overnight lows, 56 tonight … 60 this weekend … back to the upper 50’s next week
(click HERE for current conditions in Pala)
Call the Pala Fire Department at (760) 742-1632 before starting any open fires to get the day’s Cal Fire and APCD recommendations. Fire Department permits are required for any burning on Pala tribal land.
The Pala Band of Mission Indians has a number of part-time and full-time employment opportunities.
Friend/like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/RezRadio
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/rezradiofm
LISTEN TO REZ RADIO
Rez Radio Website – Listen to Rez Radio 91.3 through your browser at RezRadio.fm.
iHeartRadio Website – Listen to Rez Radio 91.3 through your browser at iHeart.com.
iHeartRadio Apps – Download the free iHeartRadio music app for iOS, Android, Windows, and participating car, home, and portable devices. Once the app has been downloaded, search for “Rez Radio” and save us as your favorite.
TuneIn Website – Listen to Rez Radio 91.3 through your browser at Tunein.com.
TuneIn Apps – Download the free TuneIn music app for iOS, Android, Windows, and participating car, home, and portable devices. Once the app has been downloaded, search for “Rez Radio” and save us as your favorite.
AudioNow – Provided by AudioNow, listen to Rez Radio 91.3 anywhere there is phone service by dialing (712) 775-5748. There is no cost for the service, but calls will use mobile plan minutes. If you’re calling from a landline, normal long distance charges will apply.
The Community Events and Casino Corner portions of this newsletter can be heard three times daily Mon-Sun on Rez Radio, at 7:25a, 12:25p (in Pala Today M-F), and at 5:25p as the “Pala Community Calendar”. Submit items for the calendar to email@example.com at least a week before the event.
You can view the events on the Calendar page.
You can find a wide-range of Pala Rez Radio programming on our Shows page.
The Pala Band of Mission Indians and Rez Radio gathered this list of resources as a courtesy and offers no guarantee of accuracy. Please contact us if you find an error or if any link needs to be updated.
Check out the list of information on our Resources page.